Friday, July 19, 2013

Jacques le Imbecile

We have the cutest cardinal couple coming to the feeders. I would say they have been visiting for the last week and a half. I have named the male, Jacques(reason why to follow) and the female I just call Embarrassed.

Every day, multiple times a day, they come to eat from the cardinal feeder. Or rather Embarrassed comes to feed, Jacques, in all his manliness is there to protect his mate. I call him Jacques because he behaves just like the French at the castle in Monty Python's Holy Grail. If you have not seen this movie you are missing out. Jacques repeatedly attacks another male cardinal who, coincidentally, is at the feeder every time they show up. The other male is quite a formidable opponent. He has an uncanny ability to predict every move Jacques makes. He is able to counter all of Jacques moves effortlessly. It's as though he is somehow mentally linked to Jacques. How is this possible? Because it is Jacques. It is his reflection. That's right, several times a day he attacks himself in the bathroom window, or kitchen window. Some attacks leave him stunned for a bit so he rests, only to swoop in for another attack. Always foiled, always bruised, and yet does not stop. I can't help but hear the French accent coming out of him to his mighty foe similarly to the outrageous insults hurled by the one in the aforementioned movie. "You don't frighten us English Pig-dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you."

And so he continues to attack, day after day with his mate looking on in shame. She ignores him now, realizing that he is attacking himself, and goes about eating. But not without the look of "I can't believe I mated with this idiot. My poor children."

I have been trying to get his battles on video to no avail. I was able to snap a pic of him recovering after one of his fly-by sneak attacks of the garage window. Poor Jacques.

No comments: