Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cowadunga

I blogged a bit ago about a friend of ours creating a pond on his property and how we released a bunch of young large-mouth bass. There were other events that occurred that day that I did not get into.
You see, one of the many pots he has his hands into is the raising of beef cattle. I have never spent any time with cattle. In fact, as I have mentioned previously, I am not entirely comfortable around hoofed creatures. why? The way I see it they are a combination of a ton of stupid and a ton of body mass with sharp feet. Not a great mix in my opinion. There ya have it. It is as simple as that.
Anyhoo, despite my wariness of the bovines, I decided to take some pics. They were pretty far out from where I was standing so I felt just fine. That is, until Tim's colleague arrived with his overly exuberant dog. Said dog felt the need to bark continuously while he sat in the car. This apparently acted as some message to the cows. I don't know if it was one of caution or of feeding time. Regardless they decided to move. And move they did.
At first they just picked up their heads, looked in our direction and began to walk. I was still a fair distance and kept snapping pics. And then apparently a stupid bomb went off(something I believe happens frequently around them)and they started to pick up their speed.
I darted over to the side of the camp up the ramp to the door for safety, while still able to snap pics of the thundering herd of dumb. Tim and his friend were inside completely oblivious to my situation, so they were of no assistance. Here is a pic of some stampeding by me.

Thankfully the ladies slowed down. One by one they passed me glancing over to see if I meant harm. Then, somehow the parade turned into a catwalk. I swear I am not imagining this. A cow would walk up to a spot, stand there until I took a picture, then would walk on. Here is an example.
You gotta be kidding me. We went from panic to vanity in a matter of seconds. Reminded me of any red carpet event in Hollywood. In fact, there was very little difference as far as I could tell. :)
So I complied in an effort to make these ladies feel better about themselves. I even found myself hurling compliments at them. Here's another pic of a mother/daughter combo. A Kardashian breed perhaps? lol




I never thought I would serve as paparazzi to farm animals. But I embraced it. You just never know what a day holds in store for you.

No comments: