Saturday, September 6, 2014

The friendship tree

I have mentioned a number of times that things go down a little differently in North Country, and Thursday was no exception.

We received an email on Wednesday from Lorna notifying us that she, Tim, Pete, and Debbie bought us a Catalpa Tree as a wedding gift. Awesome. We love trees! A gift truly up our alley. Oh and she told us to think about placement on our property and that they would plant it for us. Totally cool and meaningful gift.

Jump to the next morning. Jim and I return home from retrieving the last of the sheep bedding (this experience warrants a separate post and maybe I will write one).  We had just finished unloading the hay when I saw Colin, fabulous son of Lorna and Tim, walking up to me. I asked why the honor of his visit? He said he was there to dig a hole and that Tim was on his way from Potsdam with the tree. I laughed and said, "good thing I am here I guess". His phone rings and he answers. "Yup, got it. 4 feet by 2 feet." I asked if that was Tim and he confirmed. Then I asked the logical question, "just how big is this tree?" Colin shrugs, "beats me, but you know Tim." Ahh yes I do, Tim's motto is "Go big or go home."

So, about 20 minutes later Tim arrives with the Catalpa. What a beauty, and a wee bit bigger than I was expecting. Often when receiving a tree you get a sapling; this pup is about five years old with a 200 lb root ball, lol.

Not a problem. Just needed to cut the fence, tractor the bad boy out there, and presto you have a tree planted. And so that is what happened. Tim drove the tree out ( I am not quite comfortable with side to side pitch on the Kubota) while Colin and I walked beside it. Jim cut the fence so Tim was able to get the tractor out into the dog field. After much maneuvering and "Tim engineer planning," the tree was in the hole.

Here are some pics from the experience. We love our crazy friends. And as we told them in our thank you to them, "May it grow to be as strong as our friendships have."



No comments: