Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sanity and Safety


If you have been following this blog than you know that our two younger hens, Daisy2 and MadeIt, have been free to roam about the property. Their choice, not ours. Yesterday we put an end to that. We clipped their wings.
There is no pain with this procedure and it is a relatively quick process. I held them while Lynn cut off portions of their wings. We made this decision for sanity and safety. Their coop is surrounded by a cage. Outside of the cage is a fenced in area that is about 60’X60’. A good size for two hens. The issue is/was if you didn’t want them to fly out; you had to keep them in the caged area which was not pleasant for them at all. And I would hear about it. Believe me.
Once out, they would ALWAYS head for the areas that were off limits. While amusing to no end, it was becoming increasingly difficult to manage. I would feel horrible if something were to happen to them. I have this extremely powerful protective streak that covers all living creatures on our property. (well, maybe not all. Many bugs are excluded from said protection)
So our decision was a sound one. Better for them, better for us. We can manage when they go out of their area. In the late spring when we begin planting we will have them out with us in the field. We can keep an eye on them. Of course they will assist with insect control and aerating the soil. No free rides on the farm. J And we will be careful not to allow them near seedlings to prevent damage from digging or from eating them.
Although we are justified for doing this, I couldn’t help but to feel sad. (A classic example of “projecting” on my part.) Freedom and independence have always been at the core of who I am. And I just took their freedom away. I feel like a jerk and a hypocrite. I worked long and hard to reclaim my freedom. I will have to work on reconciling this one.
Do you ever feel like your wings have been clipped?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What will stop the chickens from eating the seeds as you plant them in the field? If I were a chicken, I'd be thinking "Oh, look! A buffet!" - Martha

Unknown said...

Hi Martha,

Rest assured our feathered friends will not be allowed in the garden until the veggies are big enough to withstand the assault - despite any attempts by Nora to the contrary :)

Anonymous said...

So the real question is, now that they have lost their freedom, are they screaming at you on a regular basis? Or just giving you a sad, depressed look? :)

Unknown said...

Definitely a lot of screaming and swearing. No passive, pathetic chicks here :)