Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spinning

I can’t quite recall when the desire to learn how to spin struck me, but I suspect it was 4-5 years ago when I started to read more about modern homesteading.  Not surprisingly, many of the folks who are interested in living a more self-sufficient life, also find themselves learning one or more traditional or “heirloom” crafts. 

I pondered a couple of different crafts.  Blacksmithing was out of the question since I’m afraid of fire.  My mother tried to teach me how to sew, knit and crochet (I had to admire her tenacity) when I was a child, but I was hopelessly inept at all of it.  Soap-making sounded fun, but I lacked the requisite goat.  Spinning, however, seemed to have a lot going for it: the tools needed were fairly small and easily acquirable; I could find skilled spinners in Connecticut who were willing to teach me; although it involved fleece derived from the very types of farm animals that I seemed obsessed with – sheep and angora goats – I could buy the roving needed to spin without having to have my own sheep and goats (at least immediately); and the act of spinning seemed like meditation.  The perfect stress reliever for a busy life.  So I started taking spinning lessons in Connecticut, learning to spin with a drop spindle.  As life would have it, I started lessons a mere two weeks before accepting a job in Massena and relocating 3 weeks later… 

Fast forward 18 months to this past fall.  I finally located a local spinning group only to discover that they met every Thursday from 11am-3pm;  not exactly conducive to my work schedule.  But, being unwilling to let the idea go when I was this close, I asked one of my contacts if she would be willing to give lessons.  She agreed, but before we could even set anything up, another woman in the group, Sandy, emailed to say the group had agreed to meet one Saturday a month if I was still interested.  I was thrilled! 

So began my journey into the world of fiber.  If you haven’t met a spinner or a weaver in your travels, let me just tell you, these folks are serious about their craft!  At least ¼ of the women in the group raise their own sheep.  All of them spin, weave, knit, and crochet daily.  Many of them do quilting as well. Those who raise sheep, also clean, card and dye their own fiber.  They pour so much passion and creativity into everything they create.  They’re a wonder to behold, really.   

I’ve not spent as much time spinning over the winter as I had hoped, but I’ve made some progress.  If you’re searching for a hobby that is simultaneously productive, creative and relaxing, I highly recommend spinning.
I know. I need new jeans,but Nora cut my clothing allowance.


The wheel is a Majacraft Suzie.  Originally I was gravitating toward one of the more traditional looking Ashford’s, but after using this wheel I fell in love with it. (It belonged to one of the women in the group, Vernice, who was kind enough to lend it to me at my first meeting.  I bought it from her last month.) It’s compact, beautiful, and easy to use.

No comments: