Thursday, March 20, 2014

Happy First Day of Spring - Ha!


The calendar declares it the first day of spring.  The weather, however, is not on board.  Although I do have to admit it is above freezing today (36 degrees at 8:30am), it is currently raining and will be switching over to snow within a couple of hours.  By Sunday, we expect to be back down into the low 20s as a high and 0 to 3 degrees as a low that evening.  Not exactly spring-like.  But hey, we persevere.  What else can we do?

At least the seedlings I have planted so far indoors seem to be thriving.  I've only planted the seedlings needing a 10-12 week head start -- cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant, onions, lemon balm, valerian (herb), black-eyed Susans and some hollyhock, which are stubbornly resisting germination.  To-date, a single seed has germinated out of the original 5.  I planted 5 more last weekend and so far nothing.  I'd think it was just an old packet of seed, except I've tried my own seeds harvested last fall, as well as some of Tasha Tudor's. Perhaps they truly are happiest when self-seeding outside.


No comments: