Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Out like a lion

And to think I have always loved lions. This winter though, not so much. It is March 11 and just last week we had a few mornings hit sub zero temps. As in one morning -22. Really? Not cool. Today into tomorrow we are expecting to receive 10-15 inches of snow and 20-30 mile an hour winds. The first official day of Spring is next Thursday.

You may have noticed are lack of posting recently. That is because we are feeling defeated, tired, and trapped. This winter has made us prisoners. Any day that was not under 10 degrees was met with high wind, snow, rain, or ice. No beautiful sunny winter days snowshoeing or snowmobiling. Not one until this weekend. And although I am prone to exaggeration, I am not in this case.

I am absolutely amazed by how the weather has affected me this season. Usually, I am just mildly annoyed by March. Lynn has always ridden the crazy train from January to April. And this year, I too, am a passenger.

I couldn't help but wonder why the change in attitude. And I believe I know the answer. I live a more agrarian lifestyle, therefor I am more connected to the seasons. And it is a connection more powerful than I imagined. I noticed this winter that I grow tired earlier in the evening. I eat more and more regularly throughout the day. A hibernation of sorts. As the months passed I have become increasingly impatient being inside. I believe that is a necessary motivator for the work that awaits us in the months ahead. Clever management tactic wouldn't you say?

So come on in Lion and do what you gotta do. Then leave this place. Oh, and don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I did notice the lack of posting, complained to management, and now I am happy with the almost immediate resolution of my complaint. I really do love reading about you and the farm, even if it's not always positive - such is life. Even though the winter is "milder" around here - I cannot stand it either and feel your pain. Also, I miss you guys!

Unknown said...

LOL. Glad you got immediate resolution on the matter. Now do something about our snow.

Unknown said...

Did you get the 10-15 inches of snow you were expecting? We got a flurry in West Hartford but I don't think it was sticking (I am in MA now - no snow here). Notwithstanding the foregoing, it is FREEZING in New England thanks to the very strong and chilly wind. I wish I could do something about all this - maybe we should all move South LOL