Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My take on the wedding

I thought I would post my take on the weekend although I echo many of the sentiments Lynn shared in her earlier post.
First of all, I did not post about all of the planning leading up to the wedding. In fact, I don't believe I ever referenced it at all before. To me it was a private thing and one that could not logistically be inclusive, so in an effort not to be rude, I decided to keep it on the down low. I would hate the thought of someone reading this to feel not included. With that said, now that the "big day" is over I feel a bit more at ease about sharing.
It is hard to put the weekend into words, just as it is difficult to capture the beauty of Lynn's gardens in photos, but I'll give it a go.
Watching the people I adore walking up our driveway to the back yard was one of my favorite moments. The looks on their faces as they rounded the corner, all sharing a similar theme, that of wonder. The eyes got wide, the mouths gaped open, their arms unfolded as they prepared for an incoming hug. Everyone of them child like for a brief moment in time. The word heaven was used liberally.This served as validation for us. (Not that Lynn and I are in need of that mind you, it was just nice to have)
Pulling up to the wedding tent in my beloved Kubota was another moment that sticks in my mind. Lynn and I sat in the bucket as Jim drove. The children danced up the aisle to meet our arrival. As we approached, people sprang to their feet smiling and laughing as they clapped. (Of course they would clap, it's a fabulous tractor. ;)) That moment was exactly how I envisioned it months before when planning this. It was, for me, success.
There are too many terrific moments to list quite frankly. The vows, the Lynn and Nora story, the heartfelt speeches, the overall joy. But I have to say my absolute favorite aspect of the entire weekend was to bear witness to the coming together of the friends and family we love. They all got along famously. Each telling us what a great group of people they were. (numerous requests for a reunion. Over my dead body, lol) I couldn't agree more. You can plan flawlessly for an event, but as I recently told a dear friend, people make the party. And Lynn and I are really lucky to know such amazing people.


Proud Mother of Ducklings and Wedding Planner(NOT)

Here is a photo from the service that I absolutely love. A friend shared this with us with the following caption, which I also love "Nora sweeps Lynn off her feet while Lynn keeps Nora on her toes." Tis true.

photo courtesy of Karen Mossow

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations! I'm so thrilled for you.

Martha Clay

Unknown said...

Many thanks Martha! It was 17 years in the making.

Unknown said...

A truly AMAZING weekend! Everything was perfect and it was great to finally celebrate with you and Lynn. My favorite moments were: the poem, the tractor, and when the two of you came in to the reception hall.