Saturday, December 21, 2013

O Tannenbaum

We love Christmas trees! There is just something very calming and mesmerizing about them. We put ours up early this year given the short span between Thanksgiving and Christmas. And we put up two trees. One in the dining room and one in the living room.

This tradition started years ago. Lynn and I did not exactly see eye to eye on the decorating of the tree. I love colored lights and a mish-mash of ornaments. Lynn, being a more organized( nice way of saying anal retentive) person, prefers while lights and an overall theme to a tree. Of course I won the battle given my overwhelming exuberance over all things Christmas. (Or it could have been a major tantrum, doesn't matter) And my opinion is that Christmas is the time to be tacky in your taste if you are ever going to.

One weekend Lynn was particularly exhausted and stressed out. It could be that she had been working non-stop for weeks without a day off. This was back when she worked full-time and went to law school at night. (We call that the Dark Period). I felt bad for her so I ran out to buy a small tree, white lights(although against my better judgment) and a slew of matching ornaments. I insisted that she take a break and help decorate the Lynn tree. She complied and the rest is history.

This year, I surprised Lynn by making one of her favorite treats, Harry and David's Moosemunch. I searched for a recipe and found this: Homemade Moosemunch recipe. I elected to add chopped pecans during the baking process and drizzled both melted semi-sweet and milk chocolate. I have to admit it turned out pretty darn well. Lynn was thrilled. So we put on Sara McLachlan's Christmas album, poured ourselves a glass of port, and  munched on the wonderful mix of salty and sweet while we decorated this year. A great time was had!!

Dining Room

Living room

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks beautiful! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! XOXO