Sunday, December 1, 2013

Some days it's great to be a human

Jim and I were sitting in the kitchen yesterday chatting when all of a sudden a loud thump sound came from the mudroom. We knew that it was more than likely a bird smacking into the sliding glass door. And unfortunately it was. A downy woodpecker was lying on the steps unconscious. Man I hate seeing that. Jim touched her to see if there was movement. Very little response, it did not look good. It is at this point that you must make an important call. Do you end their suffering or extend it in the hopes that it is just an injury? I decided that it was not yet time to blow her candle out. We moved her into a hay- filled shallow box. I decided it would be best to put her in the barn so she didn't feel so exposed to the elements. While in there she showed more sign of life. Still drowsy, still not moving well but had some moments of hope. And so I kept her in there and checked on her every hour or so while leaving the doors open. I put food out and made sure she saw it. Dusk came and it was time to close the barn. I put out some water and dipped my hand in it so she could see what it was. I put more food in the dish and closed up shop. This morning I went out to find her there looking better but still on the ground. There were signs that she had eaten so I felt relief. She was on the mend and that was a good sign. I left the doors open to allow her the opportunity to leave at any time. Here is a pic of her in the barn this morning.
Not the best shot but I wanted to keep a respectful distance in an effort not to freak her out. About 30 minutes later I was in the kitchen and again I hear a thump. Not a loud one. Of course I thought it was Crazy Jacques attacking himself again. (which he is still doing on a regular basis by the way) Another knock on the window so I felt compelled to look. And low and behold it was my new friend letting me know she was better and ready to set out on her own.
She remained there for about 5 minutes as though she wanted to make sure we saw her. Then, off she went. Good luck my friend.

No comments: