Thursday, December 19, 2013

Old Man Winter needs a calendar app

Don't you hate it when guests arrive early? Like, say by a month? Technically, winter does not begin until December 21. And yet our first snow fall was the day before Thanksgiving. Our high for the other day was 3 degrees and the low was -22.(yeh, I know, that is just plain wrong) We have had some sort of snow fall for the last 5 days straight. I ask you, does that not constitute winter?

If only there were an escalation path for this type of thing. I could simply email, text(okay, I don't text), or call a customer service number to report the invasion of winter on my fall. I imagine I would listen to an automated routing system providing me options of buttons to push. (Always press 0 to get a live person.) I make my selection and while waiting in queue I am peppered with the "our agents are experiencing a high volume" message. Not surprising given the weather, so I stay on. Finally an agent answers. The conversation goes as follows:

Agent: "Thank you for your patience and for calling O.M.W. enterprises, how may I assist you today?"

Me:" Hello. I am calling because winter arrived a month early and we have ridiculously cold temperatures, 15 inches of snow on the ground, and more coming down. In fact, it has been snowing for 5 days. "

Agent: "I am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you Ms. Lee. I assure you that we do everything in our power to ensure an on-time arrival of winter. There are times however, when forces beyond our control, affect the delivery process."

Me: "So what I am supposed to do with this? Just put up with the extended cold and snow fall?"

Agent:" I understand that this is frustrating for you. Unfortunately, once the process begins we are unable to reverse it."

Me: "Surely there is something you can do."

Agent: "I could check with my manager to see what options are available. I will have to place you on hold while I do so. Are you okay with that?"

Me: "Sure, why not."

And bam I am back in the hold universe. This time I am treated to a slew of messages encouraging me to sign up for their added protection package. "To learn more ask your customer care agent about the many benefits of our Blast into Winter package, or inquire about our new Jump into Spring service. With the creation of our new Alliance partnerships we are able to offer additional seasonal benefits. Or, visit our website at www.OMW.com.  Be sure to like us on Facebook."

Agent: "Ms. Lee?"

Me: "Yes."

Agent: "Thank you for waiting. I have spoken with my manager and I am happy to inform you that we can offer you an early arrival of spring. While we cannot offer the full thirty days, we can provide you with two whole weeks. Would that be something you are interested in?"

Me: "Yes, I will take it. Do I need to do anything?"

Agent: "Not a thing, I can take care of that for you now, just give me a moment to complete the ticket request. Okay, the request has been submitted. Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

Me: "No, that will do, thanks.

Agent: "You are welcome Ms. Lee and thank you for calling OMW. Have a great day.

And a great day I would have, if there were a number to call.

No comments: