Sunday, June 8, 2014

Mother Robin

Nora recently wrote a post about our friend, the robin, who insisted on building her nest on a very narrow ledge above our front door.  Some people believe that we shouldn't project human emotions and motivations upon animals.  Sometimes I agree with these beliefs.  But how can one look at this robin, and her persistence in the face of the wind's (and my) constant removal of her partially constructed nest, and not see a study in patience and determination.

Well, her patience and persistence paid off. Nora caught a glimpse of a wide open beak pointing skyward the other day, and I have heard lots of baby chirping.  Mother Robin is never far away.  If we dare step out the front door, she flies nervously from fence post to arbor to fence post, all the while screeching at us.

This morning, while out watering in the front borders, I glanced up and saw 3 little beaks pointing skyward. Three babies!  I dashed into the house and ran back out with the camera.  By the time I returned, only two were visible.  I snapped some pics, most of which turned out blurry in my rush to photograph before they disappeared again.


No comments: