Thursday, June 12, 2014

Rainy Days

It's been raining on and off (sometimes torrentially) since yesterday, so I really haven't been able to get outside with Nora's camera.  It's much needed rain, however, so no complaints.  I was getting tired of watering 400 or so feet of vegetable beds with a watering can (the hose only reaches to the garden fence), as well as all of the young perennials that I've recently planted.  The rain will also help tremendously with any remaining seed germination.  I spot planted a few areas in the vegetable garden last weekend (the crows helped themselves to many of my sunflower and zinnia seedlings), and planted some scarlet runner beans and nasturtiums around some of the trellises.  The rain will also give a not-so needed boost to the weeds infiltrating all of my beds, but what can you do?

Lady's Mantle

Peony draped over Stella D'Oro Lily
I headed home early from work today to meet up with the large animal vet from Canton.  The sheep need their annual vaccinations, de-worming medicine, and quarterly hoof trim.  I figured since the vet and her technician were stopping by to give shots, I'd let them have the pleasure of this quarter's hoof trimming as well.  I'll save myself the bruising.

Hopefully this visit will not set back the trust-building that has been going on between Tallulah, Jem and me. Both of them now come to me immediately when they see me for neck scrunchies and ear rubs, and there is much jostling between them to get center position.  I'm still working on Delilah.  She will sometimes tolerate a quick pat on the head, but that's about it.  Wish us luck.

No comments: