Sunday, January 6, 2013

Modern Homesteading: Back to My Roots


I’m sure many people who know me find it difficult to fathom, if not outright laughable, that I have chosen to immerse myself in “homesteading.”  Actually, our friends and family likely fall into three camps: those that share my interest in homesteading; those that find it slightly quaint, but strange nonetheless; and several that no doubt think I’m “play-acting” and don’t see any of it as big deal because they’ve been doing these things for years. 

I appreciate where the latter are coming from.  I was raised by grandparents who could do all of this, and then some.  My grandfather was raised on a dairy farm with 12 siblings.  He knew all about raising livestock, gardening, raising crops, fixing machinery, carpentry, electrical work and plumbing.  My grandmother was renowned for her cooking and baking, she canned all of the produce my grandfather grew, she made clothing, and she kept an impeccably neat house.  My mother learned from them and was equally adept.  You would think having grown up in that environment that I would already know how to do many of the things I’ve spent the last year learning.  Unfortunately, not so much.  I had no interest in any of it when I was a child.  I observed it all because I was intellectually curious about everything, but I had no interest in doing any of it.  I was more interested in reading and playing with my friends. 
Some of you may be asking, “What is homesteading?”  In the 1800s, the word referred to a free government land program and the skills necessary for pioneer living.  In the 1970s, it was the “back to the land” movement.  Today, homesteading generally refers to a lifestyle that promotes greater self sufficiency. To quote an article in Mother Earth News, “It's about using less energy, eating wholesome local food, involving your family in the life of the community and making wiser choices that will improve the quality of life for your family, your community and the environment around you.”  That sums it up nicely.

So, although some may find my knew-found interests odd, I see it as a rediscovery of my roots.  I come from a long line of farmers, and at some point 4-5 years ago I began to feel a pull toward this lifestyle (perhaps a genetic predisposition); deeply buried memories of this way of life began to re-emerge.  I tried to ignore it.  I was a corporate attorney living in an urban area with a partner who was equally entrenched in an insanely busy, but very comfortable existence.  But events interceded and opportunities arose, as they often do in our lives, that made it possible to relocate to the North Country and well, here we are…

So, regardless of how it is perceived by others, I now find comfort and relaxation in baking our weekly supply of bread, cooking more frequently and with locally-grown ingredients (when possible), gardening, canning and storing the vegetables and fruit we produce, tending to chickens, learning to spin, etc.  Call it homesteading, call it living locally, call it self-sufficiency, call it ridiculous if you like; regardless, I’m thoroughly enjoying it and it feels right.  I feel as though I’ve come home.

No comments: