Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Most Scrumptious Banana Bread Ever

I started eating bananas a few months ago.  I had never been a big fan; I’d buy a bunch of 4-5 and half of them would go all brown and mushy before I ever got to them.  I mentioned this to a friend who told me there was no need to throw them into the compost at that stage.  Rather, put them in the freezer until you could use them in baking.  What a marvelous idea, I thought!  So I did, and then I tried numerous banana muffin and bread recipes until I found the perfect one. Really it is.  Give it a whirl.  You’re in for a tasty treat.  It freezes really well too. 

Sour Cream Banana Bread

Prep time: 15 minutes; Cook time: 1 hour 

Ingredients:
4 very ripe bananas, divided
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¾ cup butter, melted and cooled
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
½ cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sour cream
2 tsp white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
  1. Preheat over to 350 degrees.  Grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan.
  2. Mash 2 bananas in a bowl with a fork.  Place remaining 2 bananas in a separate bowl with 1 cup sugar and beat with an electric mixer until creamed and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Beat in melted butter, eggs, sour cream and vanilla until combined.
  3. Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in separate bowl.  Stir the flour mixture into the banana/sugar mixture and combine thoroughly. 
  4. Fold in mashed bananas and walnuts.  Pour batter into the loaf pan.  Tap on the counter a couple of times to remove any air pockets. 
  5. Stir 2 tsp sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle the mixture over the top of the loaf.
  6. Bake in preheated over until bread is golden brown and set in the center.  The recipe calls for 1 hr and 15 minutes.  I find mine is always ready in 50-60 minutes.  Rotate bread ½ way through cooking process.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to finish cooling on wire rack.

No comments: