Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hellebores

...not some fanciful creature of the underworld, but rather a small, cold-hearty flower.  Those of us who garden in cold climates (zone 4 and lower) must wait what seems like an eternity for the tulips to bloom in the spring.  Our ice and snow tends to linger into April, as do the below freezing evening temperatures.  As a consequence, we are constantly in search of those few gifts of nature that are cold hearty; those delightful, little flowers that push bravely up through the frozen ground and snow to bring us some early signs of spring. Until last year, my lone early risers were the dainty snow bells.  Then I would have to wait several weeks before the opening of the daffs.

Somewhere in my travels last year however, I discovered Hellebores.  Hellebores are available in a multitude of colors -- white, purple, pink, yellows -- and prefer partial to full shade.  I purchased a mixed bag so had no idea what I would end up with this year.  So far, only 1 of the 5 plants has a bloom, and the plants themselves are no more than 5" tall.  Admittedly, rather unspectacular at the moment.  But I expect as they settle in they will reach at least a foot high and will spread out a bit as well.  I have them tucked into a shady area beneath a buckthorn tree, and I hope to have a healthy patch of Hellebores by this time next spring.


No comments: