Thursday, May 15, 2014

Heroine of the day!

I was looking out onto the sheep pasture earlier when I saw what looked like the sheep-obsessed crow (who has been hanging around daily) ducking below the grass-line. I watched for a little bit and realized that a crow does not move like that. Slow and low to the ground. I grabbed the binoculars and saw that we had a turtle in the pasture and she(we suspect she was en route to laying eggs in the river) was headed for the road side fence.

Before I head further into the story I would ask that you (the reader) not judge me, the protector of all things great and small. I have handled cheetahs, California brown bears, a chimpanzee, been swimming with dolphins and manatees, hugged a sea lion, stuck my hand in the mouth of a Beluga whale, and had a 6-foot long Python draped across my back onto my arms. While I am fearless in many aspects of life, I have limitations. And today one of those limitations reared it's ugly head. Okay, back to the story now.

We live on a state highway and the speed limit is 55 so a turtle crossing really doesn't have great odds making a successful trip. I ran out to the pasture, grabbing a walking stick on my way to halt our mother-to-be in her journey. Okay good. She pulled her head in and stopped in her tracks.


I stood there feeling quite victorious as I had successfully blocked her path. However, what was the more permanent solution to the issue? Was I going to stand there all day, walking stick in hand, shooing back this turtle? I think not. And yet my heart could not allow her to move forward. I tried to think of ways to relocate her that didn't involve actually touching her. That was not an option. Not a big fan of the amphibian. Especially foot long ones. (here is where the no judging comes in so prepare your mind) I quickly walked back to the house to obtain gloves and my cell phone. I needed advice from another person. I called Lynn at work. She could not think of any alternative to touching either. And she did something unexpected. She said "I will come home and move her." No judgment, well at least none that she shared out loud. :)
Out to the pasture I went to locate her and keep her still. When I arrived near the spot where she had been there was no sign of her. What the hell? Where did she go? I asked the sheep if they had seen where she went. All I got in response were blank stares. Useless ladies, useless in tracking. Whatever, go back to eating. I was starting to get very concerned. 1. Did I hallucinate the whole thing? 2. Had she already crossed the threshold? For a turtle she was fast. I located her trying to make a break for it along the fence to the road. Thankfully she was slowed looking for a hole. I walked up on her and she froze. Phew, just in time.

I looked around and low and behold I spotted Lynn headed out with gloves and a bin in hand. She had arrived and was going to save the day! And she did. Fearlessly and probably annoyed, she grabbed Ms. Turtle and gently placed her in the bin. Lynn crossed the street and relocated her a bit away from the road. And then she left as quickly as she came and headed back to work. Kudos to my heroine of the day!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am no one to judge but I am laughing as this story reminded me of my cousin who had her first baby at 18 years old. When the baby pooped, she called her husband - he had to leave work so he could get home to change the baby!

Way to go Lynn!

Unknown said...

LOL, I would draw the line at leaving work to change poopy diapers.

Unknown said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!