Sunday, May 11, 2014

Productive weekend

We're in the usual May panic.  Well, I am anyway.  I feel as though at least 50 things need to happen every day, and I'm lucky if I have time for 10.  But the weather was beautiful all weekend, which meant many hours outside (10 hours today).  I can barely move now, and my arms are as red as lobsters, but I feel good.  I asked Nora to walk around and take photos of some of the items we knocked off the to-do list this weekend.


Jim and Nora put these raised bed together last weekend, and Nora finished filling them this past week once Agway delivered the soil.  I was able to get all of the cold crops in yesterday and today including: french shallots, red onions, yellow (storage) onions, Walla Wallas (sweet onions), Buttercrunch lettuce, Amish Deer Tongue lettuce (like romaine), two types of carrots, 3 types of beets, kale, swiss chard, 3 types of potatoes, dill, larkspur (aka, delphinium) and campanula (Bellflower) -- not all in the raised beds, of course.

In addition to planting, we did a fair amount of weeding -- the asparagus bed, the new strawberry bed and one section of the raspberry beds (we have 120' of raspberry beds; I weeded about 13' - ugh).
Weeded raspberry bed
100 new strawberry plants - freshly weeded

Jim spent Friday and Saturday working on the new 16' x 4' arbor at the foot of the patio.  He has the frame up, but still needs to do the cross posts on the top and all of the trellis work.  My plan is to train wisteria, clematis and several climbing roses (all whites, purples, pinks) over it.  Within 2-3 years, it should be a wonderfully shady place to sit.  It also frames the one side of the patio and will give a more intimate, closed in feeling to the patio space.


Lastly, a little bit of weekend cuteness with Jem.

Loving her clover

1 comment: